Driving Safety Course (DSC)
DRIVING SAFETY COURSE (DSC):
You may qualify for a mandatory dismissal of a traffic citation by taking a Driving Safety Course which is approved by the Texas Education Agency.
- Please request by mail or in person, on or before the court date written on citation.
- Have a valid Texas driver's license and insurance at the time of the citation.
- Have not completed a DSC course in the prior 12 months of receiving your citation for the purpose of ticket dismissal
- Have not been cited for 25 mph or more over the speed limit
- Defendants with a commercial driver’s license are not eligible for Defensive Driving.
Submit a Plea Reply Form (click link and print) along with the following items to the court: Plea Reply Form
- Copy of your valid Texas Driver's License.
- Copy of your valid insurance showing you as a covered driver.
- Court cost amount of $144.00 in the form of cash, money order, or cashier's check. If the offense occurred in a school zone, the court cost amount to include is $169.00. Please make money orders or cashier's checks payable to: The City of Hempstead
- Within 90 days of being granted DSC, you will be required to present a certified copy of your driving record, a notarized affidavit to the court and a certificate of completion.
Prosecution of the traffic offense will be postponed for 90 days to allow the driver to complete the course and receive a certified driving record copy from the Department of Public Safety. Upon submission of the driving record and proof of course completion, the citation will be dismissed.
Texas law provides that certain offenses may be dismissed upon successful completion of a driving safety course. To have your case dismissed you must do the following within 90 days by due date.
- Request a copy of your Drivers Record from the Texas Department of Public Safety by completing and mailing the (DPS form DR-1) and requesting driver type Form 3A with a $10.00 money order for the required fee to Driver Records Bureau, Texas Department of Public Safety, P.O. Box 149008, Austin, TX 78714-9008 or you can save time and request your Driver's Record by paying online at Texas DPS - Driver's Record and following the instructions you have the ability to print it out the same day.
- Take a Driving Safety Course which is approved by the Texas Education Agency in sufficient time to submit the completion certificate to the Court ON or BEFORE the due date.
- Present an approved certificate of course completion and your Texas Driver Record, Form 3-A to the court no later than the date indicated.
- The defendants that initially requested Driving Safety Course (DSC) by mail, will need to turn in the DSC AFFIDAVIT signed and notarized.
THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS! Failure to meet these requirements will result in the fine becoming immediately payable and you will be required to appear at a Show Cause Hearing. Failure to dispose of this matter will result in a possible warrant issued for your arrest.